February 09, 2017
-LaConda Watson, Executive Director of the Boys & Girls Club of Jacksonville and Event Chair; and Daphne Gaulden, Director of Equity with the American Heart Association for the 3rd Annual Fitness Extravaganza. In celebration of the American Heart Association’s National ‘Go Red’ Month, the Boys & Girls Club of Jacksonville will hold the 3rd Annual Fitness Extravaganza “Put Your Heart Into It,” Sunday, February 12th from 1pm-3pm at 1 Boys Club Drive in Jacksonville. This event will feature several fitness experts and speakers, health information, displays, door prizes and more. Registration includes a free t-shirt. Proceeds will benefit the club with a donation going to the American Heart Association. To register or obtain more information, call 501-982-4316 or visit www.jbgc.org.
-Marthella Johnson with Arkansas Community Organizations for Free Income Tax Preparation.
- If you make less than $54,000 per year, Arkansas Community Organizations can help you file your taxes for FREE and also, teach you about ways to invest your refund and increase it’s value. Also,there is a new February 15 refund distribution date affecting returns with the earned income tax credit and child tax credit, Refund Anticipation Loan checks.
- Campaigns that Arkansas Community Institute (ACI) and Arkansas Community Organizations (ACO) members are working on: Education, Predatory Lending, & Tenant Rights Issues
- ACO programs offered to low income communities:
- First time home ownership
- Credit Counseling and Clean Up
To learn about other free service and obtain more information on Free Tax Preparation or learn about Renter’s Rights & more, visit www.arkansascomm.org or call, in Little Rock (501) 376-7151 or in Pine Bluff (870) 536-6300.
-Amanda Horton, Director of Reynolds Performance Hall and Julie Dossett Morgan, Marketing Director for University of Arkansas at Conway for UCA’s their Distinguished Lecture Series featuring Dr. Marc Lamont Hill. UCA’s Reynolds Performance Hall will host their Distinguished Lecture Series featuring one of the leading intellectual voices in the country, Dr. Marc Lamont Hill, Monday, February 13 at 7:30pm, Reynolds Performance Hall, 223 Beatrice Powell Street, Conway. In addition to his work as an academic, award-winning journalist, author, activist, and professor, Dr. Marc Lamont Hill is also the current host of BET News & VH1 Live, a political contributor for CNN & FOX News, and Distinguished Professor of African American Studies at Morehouse College. Dr. Hill has been named one of American’s 100 most influential Black leaders by Ebony Magazine among many other prestigious awards and accolades. His lecture will focus on identifying recent key issues and trends. He will spotlight the work that must be done to sustain progress and provide concrete solutions, as well as, sites of hope and possibility for healing our national, local and university communities. For ticket information and more, visit www.uca.edu/publicappearances or call 501-450-3265.