– LaConda T. Watson, Executive Director of the Jacksonville Boys & Girls Club (JBGC) and Brad West, Gwatney Chevrolet representative & JBGC member for the Annual Dub Myers Memorial Golf Tournament. The event is one of the main fundraisers for theJacksonville Boys & Girls Club which serves hundreds of kids. The tournament will be held, Monday, August 22nd at the Southern Oaks Country Club, 701 Foxwood Drive in Jacksonville with lunch from 11am-12:30pm and Tee time at 12:30pm. The cost is $75 per person; $100 Hole Sponsor; $325 Team & Hole Sponsor. There will be the Longest Drive Contest and Closet to the Pin. Sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information, call Brad West at 501-551-2300 or Bob Colford at 501-258-9269.
– Joyce Raynor, Executive Director for The Center for Healing Hearts and Spirits in conjunction with Omega Psi Phi, Fraternity for the Back to School Block Party. The back-to-school free event will be held Sunday, August 14 from 3pm-6pm at the Omega Psi Phi House, 2521 State Street in LR. This event is open to the public and will provide school supplies, backpacks, food, entertainment, educational information on nutrition, tobacco prevention, and more! Supplies will be distributed on a first come first served basis. For more information, call 501-372-3800.
– Captain DeArthur Jordan, and Little Rock firefighters Monique Robinson and Joe Howard of H.O.T.T.A.R. for Project Fresh Start: Firefighters Annual School Supply Drive. This event is in its 20th year and will be held, Saturday, August 13th from 9am-until at Dunbar Recreation Center, 1001 West 16th Street in LR. The goal is to give every child a fresh start for the school year by providing them with free school supplies. Partnering with them will be Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy. For more information, call 501-247-8451.
– Johnnie Brown of B.R.A.V.E., Pine Bluff’s Chapter of the International Association of Black Fire Fighters (IABPFF) for Project Fresh Start. This event is the annual school supply drive for firefighters who will provide free school supplies while they last,Saturday, August 20th from 9am-1pm at the Pine Bluff Convention Center, #1 Convention Center Plaza. In additional to the free school supplies, there will be entertainment, giveaways, food, and more! For more information, call Johnnie Brown at 870-489-2325 or Mozell Gipson at 870-692-2953.
– Dr. Trenia Miles, Deputy of Adult Education; Stephanie Isaacs, Associate Director of Skill Development; Glen Curry and Rocky Mantooth of the Apprenticeships Program, Cheryl Wiedmaier, Associate Director of Career and Technical Education, and Angela Mattison-Shaw of Cumulus Media for the 5th Annual Career Expo. If you are looking to move from a job to a career, or better employment situation, then this Expo is for you! Dress to impress and bring several copies of your resume or learn how to write your resume. Learn how to Ace an interview & more, Tuesday, August 16th from 10am-4pm at the Metroplex Event Center, 10800 Colonel Glenn Road in LR. The Arkansas Department of Career Education is one of the sponsors. Their mission is to prepare a job-ready, career bound workforce to meet the needs of Arkansas Employers. For more information, call 501-401-0200.